[ic] CC Encryption

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jun 12 11:24:00 2002

> Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Bill Carr (bill@worldwideimpact.com):
> > On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 23:28, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > > I'm sure that you could come up with a whole host of
> weird suggestions,
> > > such as encoding the card number into a PNG image file and sending
> > > HTML-encoded order emails, but the fact of the matter is that none
> > > of them will be secure enough to stop you losing your
> merchant account
> > > if you are caught.
> > >
> > > I suggest that you either take the time to install
> PGP/GnuPG, or that
> > > you use some form of automated card payment processor.
> > How can a non-technical Windows user decrypt a PGP encrypted message
> > from their mail client? We used to ship PGP from Network
> Associates to
> > our clients for this purpose but this product has been
> dropped. How can
> > we get the CC info to the shop keeper safely with little pain or no
> > pain? Realtime processing is not an option for low volume sites.
> >

> I think GPG has a Windows version, though I don't know how easy
> it is to install and get going, and I don't know if it can
> be added to Eudora and such to do easy inline decrypts.

There is WinPT (windows privacy tray) found here
http://www.winpt.org
it is a tray app for windows that will run the GPG functions
it is very easy to use in my estimation, and that's what my
people use to decrypt cc numbers.  You basically select the
encrypted text, copy it to the clipboard, select decrypt
and enter the passphrase.  then the clip board is the actual
cc number and expiration date.

Im not real sure of other alternatives since PGP is gone...

> A pointer to the Windows version of PGP and/or GPG which is
> easy and supports common mailers would seem to be a nice thing
> to have in our FAQ. Anyone know?
>
> --
> Mike Heins
> Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting
> phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

  _____

Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton