[ic] CC Encryption

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed Jun 12 11:31:02 2002

> > > I'm sure that you could come up with a whole host of weird suggestions,
> > > such as encoding the card number into a PNG image file and sending
> > > HTML-encoded order emails, but the fact of the matter is that none
> > > of them will be secure enough to stop you losing your merchant account
> > > if you are caught.
> > >
> > > I suggest that you either take the time to install PGP/GnuPG, or that
> > > you use some form of automated card payment processor.
> > How can a non-technical Windows user decrypt a PGP encrypted message
> > from their mail client? We used to ship PGP from Network Associates to
> > our clients for this purpose but this product has been dropped. How can
> > we get the CC info to the shop keeper safely with little pain or no
> > pain? Realtime processing is not an option for low volume sites.
> >

> I think GPG has a Windows version, though I don't know how easy
> it is to install and get going, and I don't know if it can
> be added to Eudora and such to do easy inline decrypts.
>
> A pointer to the Windows version of PGP and/or GPG which is
> easy and supports common mailers would seem to be a nice thing
> to have in our FAQ. Anyone know?

There is a GPG Windows version, but it doesn't have a GUI. To do this, there is a 'helper' program called WinPT (Windows Privacy
Tray) which is a front end to GPG and is GPLed. It has a Windows installer which installs complete with GPG.

WinPT is a universal encrypt/decrypt program and operates generally via the clipboard so would be compatable with most programs, but
there is also an Outlook  Express plugin.

WinPT can be found at: www.winpt.org, version 0.6.0 should be out within a few weeks and would be worth waiting for.

It also has quite good docs (I would say that - I manage them!).

Jonathan
Webmaint.