[ic] mv_metadata & derived (calculated) data

Wed Jun 12 12:14:00 2002

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> At 10:34 AM 06/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >Quoting David Kelly (david@zeald.com):
> > > Is it possible to put in mv_metadata an entry that will allow you to
> > display a
> > > entry with the table editor tag that is derived (calculated) from other
> > > fields from the table?
> > >
> > > For Example:
> > >
> > > Under the 'products' entry in the mv_metadata.asc file I can set in the
> > > 'options' field what fields I want the item_edit page to display.   Is it
> > > possible to put an entry in there that is the sum of two other fields
> > >
> > > e.g.
> > > C=(A+B)
> > >
> > > I realise that I can simulate the effect of this by just writing my own
> > custom
> > > item edit page.   But I am trying to create a more generic and reusable
> > > solution
> >
> >Hmm. Is this designed to allow custom edit pages based on product
> >type? If it is, it would seem to be an admirable thing to be able
> >to do, and something like that could be ginned into 4.9 (via table-editor,
> >probably). I don't think it could be put into 4.8.
> >
> >--
> >Mike Heins
> >Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting
> >phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>
>
> How would something like that be handled when entering an new record -
> javascript? Seems like it could get messy.

It would be pretty easy to have an intermediate page which allowed
selection based on prod_group and/or category.

The "New Item" functionality needs a rework, anyway. The counter
stuff is very poor.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

The U.S. Senate -- white male millionaires working for YOU!  -- Dave Barry