[ic] credit card info

Greg interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Jun 14 07:01:00 2002

At 09:21 PM 6/13/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Thank you all who have replied.  I will try to get GPG working.  Just a quick
>question ... what's the diff between PGP and GPG ... is one better than the
>other or they're just the same?
>
>Greg wrote:

> > >Kevin is right, however I think you are manually processing yes?
> > >
> > >You will want to look into using GPG or PGP to encrypt them and email them
> > >to you. I am not familiar with this, but as I understand, this "function"
> > >acts like a processor, instead of delivering the numbers to some clearing
> > >house, it emails it to you -> encrypted, where you then decryptisize it ;)
> > >
> > >IC does not natively store, keep or need credit card numbers, nor is it a
> > >good idea to have these numbers on your server, in a db, encrypted or not.
> > >
> > >CC#'s go either straight to a processor, or to you via email->PGP/GPG. I
> > >have passed over a lot of docs regarding this in the archives, it is in
> > >there. However I think they are broken right now. You might just want
> to do
> > >a google search to find out about this GPG/PGP stuff, for now at least.
> > >

> > >that is, as I understand it :)
> > >
> > >HTH
> > >
> > >paul
> >
> > Here is a message from the archive that got me going on the whole PGP
> > E-mail issue:
> >
> > http://interchange.redhat.com/archive/interchange-users/2002/msg08166.html
> >
> > I installed PGP of course, then the Eudora mail client which supports PGP
> > encryption via a plug-in. I'm on a hosted (Cpanel) site, so I had to work
> > with my web host to get the public key imported into IC. No problem. I
> > receive E-mail orders with the CC info block encrypted. I just hit
> > Decrypt/Verify, enter my pass phrase and the info appears, ready to
> process.
> >
> > "It's a beautiful thing."
> >
> > Greg

>--
>Ciao ?:-)
>Shirlyn, the WebPrincess

The PGP I referred to was the PGP application installed on my local system
for key generation and decryption. There are a few places you can get it,
here is one:

http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

My web host uses GnuPG which I suppose is GPG (someone correct me if I'm
mistaken). In my case, I had no involvement with GnuPG on the server end as
the web host did the import of the public key that I supplied.

Greg