[ic] trouble hitting an HTTPS page

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 22 19:18:00 2002

At 03:43 PM 6/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been having trouble when clicking on a page that goes to an https
>page.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm going from http to https or
>https to https, it happens in both instances.  Here's the problem:
>
>Sometimes (too frequently) when I click on a link taking me to a https
>page, it will immediately skip to the old "page not found" page for the
>browser.
>It seems like there isn't any processing going on at all as it goes to the
>error page immediately.  I can click back and click on the link again, and
>after 1-10 times of clicking back and then on the link again, it will
>finally take me to the page I am trying to go to instead of the error page.
>This definitely happens quite a bit (but not more than any other https
>page) after clicking the Place Order button, which is a major problem.  I
>can go back and click the Place Order button again just the same way as
>any other https page, and it eventually works and duplicate orders are
>never placed.
>
>I used to think it was a connection issue, but I haven't noticed it on any
>other sites I browse, and I just got a brand new cable connection that
>behaves in the same manner.  Any ideas?  Could it be a certificate issue?
>I'm using the host's generic certificate right now until I transfer my
>domain name over so at this point I always get the security warning before
>I hit the first https page.  What do you think?

I think you are using IE and you are seeing the SSL bug that lurks in
various 5.x versions of that browser. Try to reproduce the problem with
Netscape; if you can't, tell you hosting Co. to enable the well-documented
work-around for this problem; it is probably in their Apache conf file
right now, but commented out.

- Ed L.

Increase profits from your Interchange store...
http://www.newmediaems.com/cgi-bin/nm/software_fus.html
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax