[ic] ship only to US

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 29 12:49:00 2002

[snip]

> I removed all of the non-USA stuff from IC, made it clear on the check out
> page that we don't do Canada any more, I don't calculate shipping
> to Canada
> and still they try to place orders. I had one just the other day. He made
> several phone calls to me trying to get me to ship!

[snip]

> -= Jim =-

Hi Jim

I guess I don't understand your question. AFA IC is concerned, if you
display/submit US as your country, and show a dropdown of US states, as your
state, only US orders will be allowed through. That is ofcourse if they are
paying with a credit card, and it is being checked by a processor. A
Canadian persons card will not pass AVS with US.... and California in their
submit.

I think maybe you offer a manual payment also? like maybe checks via
snailmail?. As far as people mailing you orders from Canada, there is
nothing you can do to stop them.

Buy.com only ships to the US. They have a long undulated process to become
an international customer, and then, they require you to purchase over $500.
Check them out. Buy something from them, and study their process.

Buy.com (and now us) require users to be registered, thus as for you, you
can only allow people from the US, on your checkout page in the first place.
On your checkout page, they are unable to edit their customer info.

I am going to launch our new improved website soon. It has a multipage
checkout, registered users only, and controlled areas for customer input,
modeled after buy.com.

Your particular store could, for example:

PAGE 1 (edit page)     separate controlled customer information screen

PAGE 2 (checkout)      starts with:
                       [if value country ne US]
                       [bounce href="[area not_allowed]"]
                       [/if]

You can increase this to any extent, not allowing your customers to even
"get to" the page to submit their order. As for customers from CA calling
you, mailing you, and emailing you, well, your screwed there big guy :)

Anyways, check out buy.com. Also, and ever present "US orders only" may
help. Or maybe an ever present "Canadians suck!", will turn them away :)

Paul

Just kidding, I like Canadians.