[ic] ship only to US

Jim Balcom interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jun 29 15:24:01 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Paul Jordan wrote:

PJ>>Hi Jim
PJ>>
PJ>>I guess I don't understand your question. AFA IC is concerned, if you

I wasn't really asking a question, only inputting into the dialogue. Your
response is enlightening and meaningful, however.

PJ>>display/submit US as your country, and show a dropdown of US states, as your
PJ>>state, only US orders will be allowed through. That is ofcourse if they are
PJ>>paying with a credit card, and it is being checked by a processor. A
PJ>>Canadian persons card will not pass AVS with US.... and California in their
PJ>>submit.
PJ>>
PJ>>I think maybe you offer a manual payment also? like maybe checks via
PJ>>snailmail?. As far as people mailing you orders from Canada, there is
PJ>>nothing you can do to stop them.

You are right. We don't do any auto processing. The 'hands-on' approach
leads me to believe that I am giving better customer service.

PJ>>Buy.com only ships to the US. They have a long undulated process to become
PJ>>an international customer, and then, they require you to purchase over $500.
PJ>>Check them out. Buy something from them, and study their process.

I didn't know this. Thank you for the enlightenment.

PJ>>Buy.com (and now us) require users to be registered, thus as for you, you
PJ>>can only allow people from the US, on your checkout page in the first place.
PJ>>On your checkout page, they are unable to edit their customer info.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one that is being a prick about
this and getting fed up with this problem. It's nice to know that the 'big
boys' are also fed up with the Canadian Government.

PJ>>PAGE 1 (edit page)     separate controlled customer information screen
PJ>>
PJ>>
PJ>>PAGE 2 (checkout)      starts with:
PJ>>                       [if value country ne US]
PJ>>                       [bounce href="[area not_allowed]"]
PJ>>                       [/if]
PJ>>
PJ>>You can increase this to any extent, not allowing your customers to even
PJ>>"get to" the page to submit their order. As for customers from CA calling
PJ>>you, mailing you, and emailing you, well, your screwed there big guy :)

This soumds like a tremendous start.

In using just the standard single check out page in 'Construct' can't
something be put in like that on the submit button that takes them to a page
that tells them that they are not allowed?

What would the code modifications be?

I like the $500 threshhold. Having that in there too would make it workable.

PJ>>Anyways, check out buy.com. Also, and ever present "US orders only" may
PJ>>help. Or maybe an ever present "Canadians suck!", will turn them away :)
PJ>>
PJ>>Paul
PJ>>
PJ>>Just kidding, I like Canadians.

I like Canadians, too. I was born about 50 miles from the Canadian border.
(Watertown, NY) I've had some really hot times with some Canadians. It pains
me to have to treat them this way. But from a business point of view I can't
afford it.

-= Jim =-

                   .-.
                   /v\
                  // \\
                 /(   )\
                 ^^ - ^^
          > Phear the Penguin <
              L  I  N  U  X

Tagline for Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 15:05 PM:
UNIX is a computer virus with a user interface.

This Linux System has been up 54 hours