[ic] mysql is implemented-questions

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 11:56:01 2002

Hi all,

Don't get mad, this is not a question about getting SQL to work with IC.
I have worked through that and (as far as I can tell) its working.  I
have looked through the docs and mail list and cant find these
questions... Im new to SQL and set it up on a development catalog that's
not live.  I have installed successfully: DBI, DBD::mysql, and IC
recognizes that.  Generated a 'products' table in mysql db and inserted
the 'DBIDSN' variable = 'dbi:mysql:(db_name)'  and no more errors! Oh
and I put in a blank 'products.sql' file and IC has updated it in the
/products dir.

Heres my questions.
1. It seems that IC still uses the products.txt file is this so and if
so, why and for what does it use it?

2. When I added an item to the catalog, it updated the products.sql
file, but did not add it in the sql db table.  Is it supposed to?

3. When doing a search through the small text box (foundation demo)
results are returned and it is searching 'db'.  Is it really searching
my sql table? When performing an existing text link(url) search I get
errors and no results.  Im assuming that this means that it is looking
to the db and the search is not configured correctly, does that sound
right?

4. Lastly, are there some other places that document using mysql in IC
with more detail than the docs? I followed the directions and
successfully got it installed, but its pretty vague and im lost after
that because its all new to me....

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton