[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 14:19:00 2002

On Monday 04 March 2002 04:07 pm, Chris Devers wrote:
> FWIW, Interchange is the *only* program I've seen throw a segfault error
> on OSX. I've seen lots of crashes, to be sure, but nothing quite this
> Unixy had cropped up before now, and the lack of more verbose debug output
> has been very frustrating...
I'm not trying to brag here, not at all, my time spent installing IC on OSX
was at best a nightmare compared to doing it on Linux- that said, read the
following.

I am, as far as I know, the only person ever to get it to work on OSX 1.2 as
well as the new OSX 10.x. - most people have some of it working but not all
of it. No one on the OSX admin lists were helpful - in fact, they were down
right hostile toward the notion of open source software at all and refused to
help - but that was nearly two years ago.

the problems - some, anyway, arise from the use of HFS+ file system which is
case insensitive. one of the problems you will also run into is OpenSSL which
must be updated by Apple to run right - although there is a kludge available
on stepwise.com. You should also install the perl mods as ROOT (as opposed to
using sudo) before attemping the tar ball install - OSX doesn't seem to
handle that part very well either. next - on OSX 10.x you might consider
making /usr/local a UFS partition - as then it will have a case sensitive
directory - you might do this with your html directory as well. Lastly - make
sure you install as root and run makecat as root - being an admin will not
work so you will have to enable the root account (turned off by default). In
httpd, you must set a proper cgi-bin directory/alias setting the virtual host
container - OSX has screwy Apple methods rather then normal *nix conventions.
Lastly - attempt to do nothing out of the ordinary during install - choose
the defaults for everything - except where unix vs inted is concerned, etc.

Its alot easier to switch to YellowDog Linux 2.1- which is basically RH 7.2
on PPC.
--
 Robert Brandtjen