[ic] Environment MOD_PERL (was Mac OSX viable...)

John Young interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 17:52:01 2002

I am a little confused about the "Environment  MOD_PERL"
global, and the list archives don't have much if anything
on this.  The only other documentation I discovered was
in icconfig.txt as an example.

It seems to show up only once in the source (Vend/Server.pm),
but I'm not sure of the use of the conditional block in
which it resides.  It all looks like tracking/logging
kind of stuff to me (my programming skills are marginal).

Does mod_perl matter on a pure Interchange installation?
I'm running 4.8.3 currently on a Solaris 9 (beta) host
using Apache 2.0.32 (also beta) without mod_perl, and
things seem fine so far.  My understanding was that the
interchange daemon handled all of the perl within interchange,
and that there was no use for mod_perl unless you also
had perl CGI programs outside of interchange.  My cgi-bin
*only* contains the vlink binary.

My interests lies in having the production box be as
minimalized as possible.  That means I'm compiling things
like Apache with the least bells and whistles possible;
however, I do not wish to sacrifice performance in this
case.

Thanks,
John Young