[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 20:18:00 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 07:01 pm, Chris Devers wrote:
> So don't use Quartz: log in as ">console", then drop down to a normal text
> login and launch X from there. It's ugly, but it is much faster. Isn't it
> nice to have a choice? Don't you wish RedHat could run in PrettyMode? :)

Whatever funtionality OSX has it borrowed heavily from the X world - period,
right down to those growable dock icons. My X is "pretty"  - my X is skinable
and configurable down to the finest detail. If i wanted an Aqua look-a-like -
well, it was cloned long ago. I can have any look I can imagine - with out
the draw back of a painfully slow finder. I dont have to wait for apple to
issue mission critical/security critical updates - they happen within minutes
of being posted on security sites.

Still waiting for an SNMP fix? a BSD ftp fix? AN update to apache (apple has
to recompile its mod_hfs+ to close a security hole in HFS+ FS), etc , etc
,etc-
 upgraded python lately? OpenSSH ? SSH ? hmmm? still waiting for Apple, right
?

--
 Robert Brandtjen