[ic] Mac OSX viable as a development platform?

Robert Brandtjen interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 01:36:01 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 10:02 pm, Michael Stearne wrote:
> Stay with "UFS gets less fragmented", don't try to compare Linux and
> MacOS on ease of use.

Oh please - everyone on this list knows that Linux is just fine as per
usability - with infinitely more choice then you have.

My latest box:

dual P3 1.4 ghz processors
on the main board ultra scsi Raid
on the MB ultra DMA
4x AGP
6 PCI slots
ICC or 133 ram
dual redundant Power Supplies (hot swappable)
Dual IBM UW drives
1.5 gigs (up to 4 gigs ram)
IDE DVD drive
SCSI CD-RW
SCSI tape drive
Dual ethernet cards (3COM and SMC - do that on your mac)
GeForce3 TI Video
3dFX Voodoo5 ( just because I still love it - removed it from an older Mac)
on the MB dual Firewire (4 ports)
4 USB ports (on the MB)
MS Intellimouse
MS internet Key board
Hot Swappable drive bay
IRDA (on the MB)
UPS support (built into Linux)

Built by me - RH 7.2 burned on a Mac and installed by me - all up and running
in less then 2 hours.  And it all JUST RAN - right out of the downloaded ISO!

install a tape drive and see what your mac does, install that Voodoo5 and see
what it does - hey - get RAID going.

20 minutes later i had ripped Eric Claptons Lala album and burned the full
.wav files ( saved as both .wav and .mp3 files) to CD and gave it to my son -
the Cd that is - all the while serving webpages off it (tared from another
box, config file included)

I navigate where and when ever I want to on this OS, when i need an app, I go
to sourceforge and get it. I track my servers on RH Network, it lets me know
in a snap whats installed and what needs to be updated - such updates are
there in a heartbeat via up2date.

i have used Mac OS classic, Mac OS X - rhapsody and MAc OX 10  in varing
stages since 1988 - I know from which I speak, My Linux rocks - the hardware
rocks.

You can't even buy a machine like that from Apple - never will be able to
either.
--
 Robert Brandtjen