[ic] Subcategories

Dog Tags interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 12:16:02 2002

> > 2. Can the tree code be used to create deeper subcats that could
> > be displayed at the tops of the respective subcatgory pages, as
> > well as on the tree page?
>
> yes.

Hey, wow, this would be a total bulls-eye!

How can this be done? Is there kind of an A-B-C set of instructions (beyond Mike's initial instructions in his Tips article) for using the Tree stuff to display the subcats on their own pages?

If I can set up cats and subcats (to whatever level), display the main cats in the left or right bar, but show the relevant subcats in a table on each successive subcat page, this would totally be the answer I'm trying to achieve.

A good example of what I'm after is at http://www.ArmyNavy.com

This is one of the sites that I'm developing. It has the main cats on the right (and in the main body on the home page with pics, descrips), and then as you click into the categories, you can see the relevant subcats with pics and descrips of their own.

Right now, I'm using a different system to create the catalog, but I want the whole thing to all be driven by IC as soon as possible.

> > This encourages me that deeper subcats are possible. Has anyone
> > created a system that can handle deeper subcats?
>
> That's what the [tree] tag is for. I have a tree which can go as deep as you
> like. Each record has field which defines its position in the tree. I use
> this for a (sort of) file manager. The tree can go as deep as you like and
> each level can have more folders (branches) or files (leaves). I have one
> 'tree' page which is called with a parameter which indicates where in the
> tree to start; this could be the root, or anywhere else further down.

Would you have an example that I could see? I hopped around your site a bit, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks very much for your help.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup