[ic] Tricky coordinated searches mixing broad and specific matches

Wed Mar 6 14:59:01 2002

At 11:29 AM 03/06/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>At 08:02 AM 3/6/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>>Hi All -
>>
>>I've always had trouble composing coordinated searches which can
>>successfully mix broad matches with very specific ones. To give an example:
>>
>>[search-region search="
>>         fi=products
>>         st=db
>>         co=yes
>>         sf=description,comment,category
>>         se=coffee
>>         op=rm
>>         nu=0
>>         sf=inventory:quantity
>>         se=0
>>         op=>
>>         nu=1
>>         ml=99999
>>"]
>>[/search-region]
>>
>>The idea is to find products that have something to do with coffee, that
>>are in stock.  It does alright with the coffee part, but the stock
>>filtering fails completely; out-of-stock items are right in there with
>>in-stock ones.
>>
>>Simplifying the search a bit:
>>
>>search-region search="
>>         fi=products
>>         st=db
>>         co=yes
>>         sf=description
>>         se=coffee
>>         op=rm
>>         nu=0
>>         sf=inventory:quantity
>>         se=0
>>         op=>
>>         nu=1
>>         ml=99999
>>"]
>>[/search-region]
>>
>>Now the stock filtering works, but the match is too specific - it finds
>>items with 'coffee' in the description, but not 'coffees', for instance.
>>This is not in accordance with how the rm operator is supposed to work,
>>to my understanding.
>>
>>What I really want is the first example, working the way I expect it
>>to.  I guess an SQL query would be the best way to go, but this
>>particular site uses the GDBM, and I'm not sure the an SQL dbms is even
>>available to them.
>>
>>I don't presume to be a search guru, anyone out there have any
>>suggestions on a better way to tackle a situation like this?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>- Ed L.
>
>Are you sure you haven't asked this question before
>(http://interchange.redhat.com/archive/interchange-users/2001/msg07584.html)?
>Its OK, we all have trouble with coordinated searches from time to time.

Well, duh!  That's why I had that "been here before" feeling!  Thanks for
the whack on the head, Dan, that should do it.

>To match 'coffees', try turning on "mv_substring_match" (or "su" for short).

FWIW, su=yes should be unnecessary when using op=rm, according to my
understanding of the latter. Yes, I did try it anyway, and it did not help
matters. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Ed L.