[ic] Running IC on a separate server than the web server

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 18:59:01 2002

> And what about performance? Have you compared the performance between a
> normal IC implementation and the one that runs on a separate server? I mean,
> that if the local LAN has for some reason heavy traffic, then that slows
> down the site..

The speed of the local LAN will not affect the performance of
Interchange itself, unless the database server is on a separate
machine or you are sharing filesystems using NFS.  Database/NFS
issues aside, the LAN bandwidth will only affect the time it
takes for tlink to pass requests from Apache to Interchange and
the time it takes to pass responses back.

Unless the LAN is loaded to the point where the patch cables
are melting, the time it takes to pass tlink data around will
be a small fraction of the time it takes to pass responses to
remote clients.  Local LANs are easily upgraded or re-arranged
to increase available bandwidth when necessary.