[ic] Suexec BIG PROBLEMS --PleaseHelp!!

Paul Hoza interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 00:38:01 2002

At 07:33 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks!
>I Like this Idea!
>
>How do I find more info on tlink? How do I use it?

(note: I installed from the RPM, so maybe some of these suggestions are
confined to that installation... I really don't know):

Apparently, using SUEXEC requires the use of the INET mode for the
catalog.  If I understand it right, INET mode basically defaults the
catalog to using TLINK... I'm still fresh from the oven with this whole
thing, so forgive me if my terminology is off.  I never got a working
catalog until I finally answered "INET" instead of "UNIX" in makecat, which
coincides with the documentation on IC:
   http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq12.00

Additionally, the INET mode solved a problem I had in a different iteration
of creating a catalog.. the wonderful "We're sorry, the Interchange server
is unavailable..." gem.  I add that bit of info in case someone follows
this thread in the future when resolving SUEXEC questions:
   http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/docfly.html?mv_arg=icfaq05.02

When you choose "INET" mode, you don't get asked about SUEXEC at all, but
instead there are two questions specific to INET... I took the defaults for
the port and the 'localhost' as the other answer (don't remember specifics
right off hand) and it worked great.

>>>I have not been able to run a catalog under ANY OTHER USER but interch!!
>>>I NEED to run the catalog under the same user as my virtual server(s)!!
>>>
>>>I know that the interchange server runs as interch, and that is fine,
>>>but I need each catalog to run under different users.

This works fine for me, as I set up the permissions for the directories to
be owned by 'interch', and then ran makecat logged in as interch.  Then,
when the makecat is done, I chown /var/www/cgi-bin/catname.cgi to the site
administrator account (owner of the virtual site's admin) and set the chmod
755.

This may be a kludge, but I had to also temporarily chown interch
/var/www/cgi-bin/ in order to finish makecat... then promptly switch it
back to owned by site admin.  I'm sure this is hokey, but it
worked.  Obviously, I'm not a stellar sysadmin.  *sigh*

>>>I use Suexec with Apache and everytime I run makecat and tell it that I
>>>use suexec I get the following error:
>>>
>>>"chown sampledata.xls: No such file or directory"
>>For one reason or another your system cannot find the user under which
>>you are trying to configure it.  Login as the user under which you wish
>>to install it; don't su if you can avoid it.

I actually have success when I su interch and run makecat... please explain
why to avoid su?

I'm sure it's not the best method, but it's worked.  The important step I
missed when I was getting the above error was that I didn't have the
/usr/lib/interchange tree set to chown interch.interch.   Once I set that,
interch was able to run makecat without error.

I've only barely started the IC learning process, but I had many of your
same problems and finally figured it out... hope this helps.

Regards,
Paul Hoza