[ic] Running IC on a separate server than the web server

Loy Ellen Gross interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 12:13:00 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Kevin Walsh wrote:

> > And what about performance? Have you compared the performance between a
> > normal IC implementation and the one that runs on a separate server? I mean,
> > that if the local LAN has for some reason heavy traffic, then that slows
> > down the site..
> >
> The speed of the local LAN will not affect the performance of
> Interchange itself, unless the database server is on a separate
> machine or you are sharing filesystems using NFS.

*grin* All of the above (separate SQL server as well) and it still
outperforms our old server with Apache and IC running side-by-side.

> Database/NFS issues aside, the LAN bandwidth will only affect the
> time it takes for tlink to pass requests from Apache to
> Interchange and the time it takes to pass responses back.

Exactly. I'm extremely pleased with our new setup from the security
and speed aspects ... and for future expansion. This makes it easy to
mirror not only the web server but also the IC server if need be.

For the archives.

  -- Loy

--
Loy Ellen Gross :: Specialty Web Products WNY :: BiznessOnline.com
  <lgross@thebiz.net> :: home office 585.343.0424 :: cell 585.330.9005