[ic] HELP performance problem on live system

Thu Mar 7 19:02:01 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 03:03:55PM -0800, Dan Browning wrote:
> At 01:34 PM 3/7/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >I have interchange running in "high traffic" mode that is choking. It is
> >using mysql.
>
> Administer CPR immediately.  Or did you have another definition of
> "choking"?  :-)
>
> >I'm running on a 512mb system with a single processor Pentium iii
> >800mhz. The system is taking about 25 orders per hour and their appears
> >to be about 20 to 30 simultaneous connections at any one time. load
> >average on the Linux system is around 8.00.
> >
> >Should I up the maxservers on interchange (currently 10)?
> >
> >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Peter
>
> For hardware, 512mb is like $140 these days and a U160 hdd isn't much
> more.  For software, you can try more maxservers if you're not maxing out
> your RAM already (don't count too much for hdd caching).  Also try rpc
> mode.  You can index your database really well, too, and don't forget to
> regularly expire your sessions.  You can optimize your apache (lots of docs
> on that).  There is also a lot to do for optimizing the OS (new kernel,
> disable "last accessed" on file systems, etc.), but focusing more on IC is
> probably a better use of your time.  Good luck,

That sounds to me like plenty of hardware for 25 orders an hour.
Something must be very "unoptimized".  Or you have an overly complex
catalog (work on caching).  20-30 connections is not a lot.

Start by looking at the logs.  Database, web server, ic.

And top, swap, ps ax.

What does load avg go down to when you kill IC?  Is this
really IC or something else?   Procmail and spamkiller
repeatedly bouncing a 120Mb log file comes to mind....
A load avg that high might also mean the effects are
snowballing.

Memory is cheap, yes, that would help.  You are not using some
old slow IDE hard drive are you?  That could ball you up bad.
man hdparm.

If your machine is that busy, it's unlikely you can afford
to toubleshoot it hot.  Bring up another machine first.