[ic] setting up interchange at home

JT Justman interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Mar 9 02:35:00 2002

Uhh.Where to begin. Well, the short version. Interchange has a steep
learning curve.

I started using IC when I was 5 years into a web design career. I knew a
little Perl and C, was an expert with HTML, I had recompiled my own Linux
kernel, Apache, Perl, etc. I had been close to several production Linux web
/ mail / dns servers, successfully set up X-Windows on a workstation, and
done various other minor feats. In short, I was an apt Linux user and a
beginner at Linux administration.

When I got into IC, I was fairly baffled. I barely got it running on my
co-located server after several months of weekend evenings. At that point, I
lost my job and had to bring my co-located server down. When I came back a
year later to finish my store, I decided to seek hosting with someone else
rather than trying again. Why? Because I let them handle the IC server
itself, and I just run my store. And now, I know enough about how IC works
that I'm going to install it on my local server to run my development site.

Going from running windows XP to trying to get IC working on Linux is like
trying to fly a jumbo jet without having any piloting experience at all. My
advice to you would be to start with the "(apache,linux,etc.)" at home, and
start with the IC on someone else's server for $20 a month, just to get your
feet wet. That is, unless I misread you and you are a Perl expert : )

But to answer your specific questions:

You would need at least one IP Address.
Linux would be a good operating system to run IC.
Apache would be a good choice of a web server to run with IC.
You could run IC off a DSL, but trying to run a live store from it would be
fairly silly as your connection is not likely to be that stable (and you
wouldn't have all that much bandwidth). Besides which, many broadband (DSL)
providers don't want you to host servers period, and nearly all would expect
you to get a fairly expensive commercial account if you wanted to run your
store from it.

Good luck,

JT

From: "catchersgearonly" <info@catchersgearonly.com>