[ic] Newbie: General query rgd. IC

Dave Jenkins interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 14:40:01 2002

Query Query wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read thru the IC docs and have downloaded and installed IC on a
> Linux 7.1 box. Seems to work fine.
>
> My question is: how far does IC allow you to customise the application.
> It seems from an initial browse of IC cource code that it comes along
> with a "master" executable named foundation. And extensive calls to this
> executable are being made from inside the IC code. Now, 'am I correct in
> understanding that we donot get the source code of the executable
> foundation, along with the IC source code.

The 'Foundation' is an example catalog for a BtoC ecommerce store.  The
core source code is separate (and above) that catalog.  Please look a
little deeper into the documentation about the relationship between IC
daemons and the catalogs.

You get source code for everything.

> What if my requirement needs me to change a few Perl programs and maybe
> a few areas in the executable. Would I be able to do that. And secondly
> has anybody faced a situation where IC was not totally open source and
> didn't allow customisation after a stage.

YOu should be able to do that to the extent of your Perl knowledge.
There are no cases where we have 'disallowed' customization, with the
possible exception that we do not support and do not recommend
modifications that allow allow admins to store credit cards on the site
(for obvious reasons).

Good luck,

Dave

--