[ic] newbie! Redhat Interchange vs. PHPshop vs. outOFbox?

Fred Pope interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 16:58:01 2002

"Wondering if Interchange is really a cadillac solution, and that smaller
businesses would need something out of the box."

Your question does not make sense. But Interchange can be as much or as
simple a solution as you would like. I like that IC is Open Source, and has
a strong developer base, and it is farirly easy to find the answers on how
to do things. Finally there is the ability to customize the application for
your needs as we have done, and will continue to do. IC is not really a
shopping cart, it is more of a web app server that comes with a pre-built
shopping cart.

I just looked at Miva briefly, and I have looked at PHP shop in the past. I
would steer you towards Interchange. I like PHP, but the most recent
security flaw has me concerned about that language and if it worth pursuing.
You can do everything in PERL that you can in PHP, and PERL has a
portability advantage.

The next significant benefit is who is behind it....RedHat. IMHO, these guys
have a track record, and if you stay on the mailing list, you will watch the
gurus chime in and help out with questions that are well phrased. You can
hire them for support, and they are great, and even if you have not hired
them and you bring up a good question, you will have an answer really quick.

Good Luck.
--
Fred Pope
Satcom Resources