[ic] splitting out database files

Steffen Dettmer interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 02:26:01 2002

* Gill, Jeffrey L wrote on Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 09:55 -0800:
> How do you separate the postgresql database files in InterChange
> from the rest of the application?

Why that? I prefere connecting a database via network, i.e. with
ODBC or a Perl::Pg driver. The database itself (in fact, I should
say DBMS to make clear what I mean) get's connected by this.

> What is the command syntax and what files need to be modified that
> call and point to the database?

What do you mean? You do not need to modify anything except the
configuration. Or use makecat for a new catalog to set it up.

> My goal is to separate InterChange so it can exist on three
> different machines representing a three tier architecture -
> web tier, middle tier, and data tier (backend database).

Now you have a web server and a database
server and now you want what a the middle trier? The IC Server?
This should be possible in INET mode. I never tried it, but the
IC server (which uses the catalog) should work on a different
host, and the web server (with *.cgi, images and so on) should
connect it (via the cgi - which needs to be recompiled of
course). Then IC would be a middle layer. On heavy loaded
servers this may make sense.

> I only want the minimum number of files required on the database
> server.

A database server is some abstract thing working somewhere
hidden, behind a firewall, has a DNS-Name, names, passwords and
much more, but no (visible) files. Usually a DBMS don't store the
information in regular files, BTW. I don't understand that
requirement.

> Therefore what files are required and which ones can
> moved to the other machines? Is there a FAQ on this somewhere?

Which other of the three? The architecture of IC should have no
problems to divide

> Are there any gotchas to look out for when doing this?

I would suggest playing with simple CGI scripts that do database
access, first, for practice and to check if the set up is running
(DBMS configured properly and so on).

> I am learning Linux and Postgresql from scratch.

Ohh, gook luck! Both have lots of nice online docs available.

oki,

Steffen