[ic] window.opener property missing in new window

Honest to Goodness interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 14:48:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 17:37, Honest to Goodness wrote:
> I'm implementing the Canada Post eparcel service in my modified
> foundation checkout page. In the pages/ord/checkout.html page there is a
> little bit of javascript that verifies the form input and from there I
> open a new window with just some hello world stuff in it for now.
>
> The plan is that the new window will contain some html sent back to me
> from the Canada Post server in response to some XML that I have composed
> and sent to them. Their html is a cute little form with radio buttons
> allowing the customer to choose how quickly they want their products
> delivered and what the price will be.
>
> My fantasy is that when the customer chooses their shipping the charge
> will be sent to the checkout page via the window.opener javascript
> property and will magically appear in the form.
>
> As I write this I realize how totally naive I am. My new window doesn't
> have any window.opener property because it was coughed up by the cgi
> program. And the checkout page is not going to just sit there and be
> updated, it will have to be rewritten based on the changes in some
> variables.
>
> So the alternative is to have my Canada Post page show up before the
> checkout page in a serial fashion and then pass it's output on? It would
> be nice to have it embedded right in the check out page though ...
>
> Any ideas? I seem to have too many.

I now have a [include file="pages/shippy.html"] tag in my checkout page.
It loads a look alike of the html I'm likely to receive from Canada Post
and it looks very good. But it needs to be the result of a form
submitted to the postal server or a send of some XML through a socket
connection and not this static html.

Also when the user selects their shipping and causes a Recalculate I
need to know what shipping variables will need updating.

This interchange stuff is kind of fun in the detective.sluething way but
also frustrating in the grope.at.fragile.things.in.the.dark sort of way.