[ic] c.c. encryption

Sun Mar 17 19:42:01 2002

At 04:07 PM 3/17/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>hi,
>
>I have a question about encryption, the credit card number is encrypted
>and I can only see the first 4 digits when a customer places an order,
>since it never leaves the server, as it is delivered as local email, how
>can I have this unencrypted or how does it work ?
>
>any instructions anywhere ?

You unencrypt it using your private key (the public half of which was used
to encrypt the card in the first place). Obviously you want to protect this
adequately, so use a passphrase and any other means available to you, such
as emailing the order to a different user than the one who owns the
catalog. Ideally, the order email with encrypted card info would go to a
different box, and so the private and public keys would not need to be
stored on the same machine.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax