[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

Mon Mar 18 21:45:00 2002

Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps@reliant-solutions.com):
> > From: interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com
> [mailto:interchange-
> > users-admin@interchange.redhat.com] On Behalf Of John Beima
> >
> <-- SNIP -->
> > One last thing you need to look at is drive speed and choices.... If
> you
> > are
> > experencing on and off failures in pgp encryption and/or payment
> gateways.
> > This
> > is more likely than not, your drives are too slow. These
> programs/modules
> > need
> > to make tmp files, they also need RAM, and if they can't get both fast
> > enough,
> > they fail. You will see this problem a lot on the list, if people
> actually
> > READ
> > past messsages, they would see it and STOP posting it again and again.
>
> This is obviously directed at me and others who experienced this
> problem.  Mike Heins and Orko from the list spent a considerable amount
> of time working with me on this issue and we found that it was not due
> to RAM or HD speed.

To be fair, it is exacerbated by that. The higher the load and IO average,
the more likely the problem will occur. On a lightly loaded system, the
chances of the problem are miniscule. The more RAM and faster disk you
have, the less likely the condition will occur.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just
sit there." -- Will Rogers