[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

Mon Mar 18 22:12:34 2002

From: "Ron Phipps" <rphipps@reliant-solutions.com>
To: <interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com>

> This is obviously directed at me and others who experienced this
> problem.  Mike Heins and Orko from the list spent a considerable amount
> of time working with me on this issue and we found that it was not due
> to RAM or HD speed.  I posted before on this issue that we run U2W SCSI
> drives and have more then enough free ram for the one site that is being
> served.
>
> The problem being experienced is due to a bug in Perl's signal handling
> and can be fixed by using the applying the fix that Mike came up with
> (RPC mode, MaxServers 0).

Our IC stores took four orders this morning; 1 included the encrypted card
and the other three didn't. The store owners are obviously complaining about
the inconvenience of having to call the customers.

I would really like to try the (RPC mode, MaxServers 0) solution and see how
it goes before investing in more hardware, particularly as it is suggested
that it may not be a hardware problem.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the exact details of configuring
RPC mode (PreFork? high traffic?) in the docs or mailing list archives.

Is this documented somewhere or can someone post a link or keywords I can
use to find these instructions? (or re-post a step by step here!!!) Would
really be appreciated and I will post our results after I implement these
changes. This is my only bug bear with IC (never happened with minivend!)