[ic] Should I buy another CPU?

Wed Mar 20 16:10:00 2002

Quoting Orko (orko@eacceleration.com):
> <SNIP>

> > > ,----[ interchange.cfg ]

> > > `----
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if the StartServers config of 5 will conflict with the
> > > MaxServers of 0.
> >
> > I don't *think* that it will conflict.  MaxServers 0 isn't actually
> > setting the MaxServers to 0, it's setting it to unlimited.  As Mike
> > explained it means that Interchange will not use two of the Perl signals
> > to determine the number of running servers, it will spawn as many as it
> > needs.
> </SNIP>
>
> I've been running with that exact configuration (StartServers 5) and the
> MaxServers 0 setting since the patch was found.  No problems to report.
> ...and conversions have improved by 5% with no additional changes
> through Verisign!  THANK YOU MIKE AND RON!
>
> Whether new hardware would have aleviated the symptoms or not I would
> rather have this patch in and not have to worry about sometime in the
> future when the server is loaded more.  I'm running a PIII 800, 1G RAM
> and SCSI RAID - sure, I could throw some more RAM at it or upgrade the
> processor, but then I would feel like a M$ user... ;-)

By the way, I see problems like this all the time when I have session
and temp space on RAID. The write speed for hardware RAID often is bad,
no matter the claims of the manufacturer.

Using software RAID for temp and session space is slow suicide.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work
the more luck I have. -- Thomas Jefferson