[ic] Network Traffic Load & Ratio Survey

John Young interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 12:36:01 2002

Apologies up front for this not being strictly an Interchange question,
but this is the best group I know of at the moment for this kind of data.
The quality here seems to be a few notches above alt.ecommerce.

I am very interested in various infrastructure issues at the moment.
For network planning purposes, I'm interested in the following:

* What is a rough estimate of your site's network traffic?  (Preferably
   daily or weekly bits per second (bps), but "visits" or pages is okay.)

* What is a rough time frame for the bulk (extended peak) of the traffic?
   (Essentially, the middle chunk of a bell curve - is it the 7:00pm to 11:00pm
   across the timelines of your main selling area, or whatever.)

* What, roughly, is the ratio of high network traffic to low network traffic?
   ( I've heard as much as 200:1, but I'm mainly interested in patterns
    like, "in the morning it hovers around 5bps, the evenings 20bps, and
    I've seen occasional spikes that last for a bit at 30bps" or some such
    thing.)

* What is your Interchange TRAFFIC setting (low, high, rpc)?

I am mostly interested in the high-low ratio above.  If you care to mention
the type of connection/bandwidth you have to the net, that would be interesting,
as well.  If anyone sends answers to me directly, I would be happy to
summarize results back to the list.  In that case, let me know if you do
not want your answer shared or shared but no mention of your name.

Thanks to any taking the time to reply!
John Young