[ic] Tax problems (not IRS :-)

Michael Hall interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 03:12:01 2002

In the process of setting up a new store and noticed sales tax calculation
isn't working properly. This is the first store I've worked on that has
non-taxable (food) items and I can't seem to get these non-taxable items
excluded from being taxed.

Going through the docs I found some info and quite frankly am more confused
now than I was before as the docs don't seem to be in sync with what I
have in my files, etc. Anyway heres some info from my setup:

(catalog.cfg)
SalesTax        __TAXFIELD__
TaxShipping     __TAXSHIPPING__

(variable.txt)
TAXSHIPPING     WA      Tax
TAXFIELD        state   Tax
TAXRATE WA=7.7  Tax
TAXAREA WA      Tax

(state.txt)
00181   00      US      WA      Washington      7.7%

(after.cfg)
NonTaxableField => 'nontaxable', (in the dealer, distributor profiles)
Profile default NonTaxableField

(salestax.asc)
default [fly-tax]

I have the 'nontaxable' field in my products database and whether I have
it set to 0 or 1 the item shows as being taxed on the checkout page.
I noticed in 'after.cfg' in the various profiles it sets NonTaxableField
to nontaxable while the default profile just says NonTaxableField, I
changed that line to 'Profile default NonTaxableField nontaxable' but
that didn't change anything. According to the docs, salestax.asc contains
lines with the state and taxrate but mine has 'default [fly-tax]' and
I don't even see 'fly-tax' mentioned anywhere grepping all the docs.

I also tried this on a freshly installed demo and I see the same behaviour
so I'm assuming I'm missing something somewhere. Really appreciate any
tips, pointers, etc. on how to set up items as nontaxable.

PS: This is using 4.8.3 tarball and also a fresh CVS (4.8.4) for the
    demo I tried.

--
If it moves so SLOW, why is it called Rush Hour ?

Mike Hall,
Unix Admin   - Rock Island Communications           <mikeh@rockisland.com>
System Admin - riverside.org                        <mhall@riverside.org>