[ic] shipping question...

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 12:07:00 2002

> Here is what I done, and it's kinda working but not all the way..
>
> Basically I want minimum S&H to be $3.85 that's with the tracking number,
> I figured I will mark all items as 1 pound, and do this by weight
> so the minimum shipping will always be $3.85
>
> but if two items are selected (each itme is marked as 1 pound)
> and 1 + 1 = 2
> pounds, then use a formula
>
> $3.95 times 25% = whatever, add whatever to $3.85 = final answer or
>
> X = X + ( X * 0.25 )
>
> so I did,,,
>
> add new method and the fields are as follows:
>
> method name: USPS
> label: Default Shipping, USPS Priority Mail
> total based on this criteria: weight
> calculate based on this algorithm: standard shipping by weight
> apply method to: US and Canada
> minimum shipping: $3.85
> additional shipping calculation: X = X + (X * 0.25)
> round up to the nearest even $: No
> allow to be zero cost: No
> Message when zero: e Nothing to ship!
>
> NEXT SCREEN
>
> 1 to infinity, charge type: formula, charge amount 0 ? should I
> put anything
> in there ?

I am not an expert, I never use the additional shipping calc. I think you
could probably set the minimum to 3.85, as you have, then in the formula
just put an additional charge like:

0-1 + 0
1-4 + 2
4-7 + 5

Those are just made up, but you know what USPS will charge you for 5 items
right? well that would go 4-7 + ? If you are going to have alot of odd
shaped boxes (big ones) you may want to put these as a little heavier than
the norm to cover any additional $. This simple example really doesn't ever
surprise you with any undercharged transactions. And, it will allow you to
maybe *bump up the price abnormally (individually) around 20 lbs, or
whatever to account for extra boxing and such. It requires more data entry,
but it is simple and stable. Alternatively, to tack on extra dough, I
believe there is a handling value, but I have never used it.

However, if ALL your items are 1 .lb, then you might be better off going
with quantity based shipping. It would be identical, but easier to
visualize.

Anyways, If your using simple shipping, just stay simple and don't throw in
any fancy formulas, esp. with usps in the US, it is very staright forward.

Paul