[ic] Re: Ton Verhagen: Man or Myth

Julia Jacobs interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 14:22:01 2002

> Hi Julia
>
> Would you or Ton be able to share those components here in the list? I've done
> a number of searches in the archives, but I can't seem to find what you're
> referring to.
>
> What do the components do?
>
> Thank you very much.

The component Ton wrote for me integrates another Open Source php / mySQL
based application which has modules like a forum, a basic e-mail newsletter
manager & editor, a knowledge base, a database driven F.A.Q, an mp3 library
playing module, a DVD library module, a webcam module and more.  I needed
the e-mail newsletter manager & editor and forum to work in conjunction with
an Interchange website I built for a client.  Because I am not at the level
of Interchange developer guru and this was my second Interchange website, I
did not have the time, knowledge or capitol to build an e-mail newsletter
manager & editor and forum in Interchange.  Because the Open Source
application (which is called phpWebSite, BTW, and you can find out more
about it here:
http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/
although it does not have any eCommerce capabilities)
also uses themes which can be edited much like Interchanges templates, I
figured I could easily merge the two programs.  phpWebSite allows you to
name what mySQL database you wish to use so I used the same database I used
for my Interchange website.  With Ton's help, I imported the tables from
phpWebSite into Interchange's forms and the components he designed for me
and the e-mail newsletter manager & editor the client needs to go to looks
just like all of his Interchange pages so all works out just fine and within
budget.
I am not sure about submitting the component code to the list as I think Ton
wants to test it more, etc.  Also I will probably have to write some
tutorials on how to integrate phpWebSite with Interchange.
I also want to make a website with QuickTime tutorials but I need $50 for
the shareware app which will capture my screen movements and record mic
audio.  I want to make it geared towards Interchange newbies and it will
give full credit to all the folks that have helped me and have given me
info.  I do not want to step on any toes and the website will include links
to all the other support sites out there including:
Interchange Users E- Mail List Archive
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/mail_archive.html
Interchange Help
http://www.interchangehelp.com/
RTFM - Unofficial Interchange resources site
http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/
Interchange F.A.Q
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/documentation.html?document=icfaq
Interchange Developers Resource
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/index
Interchange Users E- Mail List Search by Keyword
http://interchange.redhat.com/pipermail/interchange-users/
Interchange Support Forum
http://www.interchangeville.com/forum/index.php

The tutorials I wanted to post on the Newbie site are:
How to Create Templates with JavaScript
How to get Authorize net working
How to get the Thumbnail images to show up in the results.html pages
How to get the Secure Server Problems working on an Apache server
How to add new mySQL tables

The only requirements for these tutorials will be:
knowledge of HTML using a text editor
knowledge of FTP
knowledge of a browser

Išll also put a star to indicate whether or not you need root access to do
the tutorial. Access to this newbie website will be totally free.
I know there are apps for Windows and Linux that will record screen
movements and audio for free but I do all of my work / development on Mac OS
X and the only program I can find that will do it is called SnapPro X:
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/
and the version that records audio / QuickTime costs $49.00.  If any of you
wonderful Mac OS X enthusiasts have a copy they want to lend for the cause,
I would be grateful.  But right now, my partner / husband will not allow me
to spend the money for this pet project of mine.  If someone with Mac OS X
wants to buy this cool program (recommended by Macfixit.com), keep the
license and just "lend" it to me to make the tutorials, that would be cool
too.  Or ya'll can wait until I make some more Interchange websites, the
money starts flowing in and I buy the app myself.  But right now money is
sort of tight :)

--
Julia Jacobs
Currant Media