[ic] Upgrading from Minivend

Russ Mann interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 12:44:01 2002

I'm upgrading from MV to IC also.  I tried the idea of tarring up the old
catalog and implementing it under IC.  After a lot of search-and-replaces
for new ITL tags, I finally had it working.  This, however, misses the point
of the upgrade, because you're not taking advantage of any new features.
When I wanted to take advantage of new features, I had to start from scratch
in IC - which is quite a time consuming process.  Enough things have changed
that it would be a good idea to decide if you want to upgrade for new
features or if you're just upgrading to be cool.  If it's the former, it
might take a lot of work to get the new features implemented on an old MV
catalog.

List of features that caused me to start over:

Templating system is different.
Database driven navigation (area and cat tables)
Multi-shipping addresses (although I've since abandonded it because getting
IC to calculate the true shipping cost is nearly impossible)
Gift certificates (although I'm about to abandon that because you can't
discount the [total-cost] in IC, only the subtotal)
Use of the new Admin (very slick - previously I had written my own)
Better discounting using groups
New shipping method format

-Russell