[ic] global usertag on hosted server

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Mar 28 14:57:00 2002

> I am writing a usertag to be placed on my hosted server and I have put
> it in my home directory and included it in my catalog.cfg. It uses
> things like IO::Socket::Inet and even the lowly push and all those
> things cause it to break and just return the line used to call it. I
> suspect that it is going through safe and that's why it won't compile.
>
> Now I might have to break down and have it defined in interchange.cfg as
> a globalsub. So, would I be able to define it in interchange.cfg but
> locate it in my home directory so I could do the edit/test/repeat cycle
> without having to bother my host admin every time? Or could I set up a
> symlink or other redirect to give me access to only that file located in
> the non-public area?
>
> Or what about just putting my function inline in the page where I want
> it (ord/checkout) inside some perl tags?
>
> My usertag works great here on my home machine but I need it to work on
> the server.

If the tag works perfectly on your local server then the chances
are that it'll work on the live server without too much drama.
You could just have the admin install it as a global UserTag.
If you're using IO::Socket::Inet, you will need the tag to run
outside of Safe, which means global.

Another option is for the admin to create you a directory and
add a line, such as "include /path/to/directory/*.tag", into the
interchange.cfg file.  I think this was suggested by racke earlier.
If you had appropriate permission, you could read/write global
UserTags, in that directory, until you were happy.

I won't even mention AllowGlobal.  Doh!