[ic] Session Referer not as Expected

Sun Mar 31 21:29:01 2002

Quoting Orko (orko@eacceleration.com):
> I have noticed that in my catalog, the referer of a particular user is
> stored in their session.  We have multiple sources of traffic that we
> want to track and measure performance on.  The problem is that we are
> seeing orders from users seemingly coming from a referer that couldn't
> possibly be pointing to the place they came in at in the catalog.
>
> The possibility of page caching had been discussed, but further tests
> and looking through the Vend::Server and Vend::Session modules made me
> believe that if a user's session hadn't expired yet, the referer that is
> used for them is the one that they *first* came in with when their
> session was started.

This is correct, and as intended, so as to not lose the source of the
initial entry.

You can use the UserTag [env HTTP_REFERER] if you want the momentary value,
providing you put

  Environment  HTTP_REFERER

in interchange.cfg.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work
the more luck I have. -- Thomas Jefferson