[ic] Status of Paypal Intergration [OT]

Wed May 1 12:17:01 2002

At 08:32 AM 05/01/2002 +0100, you wrote:

> > Does anyone know if this is true?
> >
> > My client just shipped me all the info on PayPal this week, I was just
> about to
> > sit down and convert the iTransact module to work with PayPal, but if
> that is
> > the case, then that make PayPal efforts a waste of time???
> >
>I've heard a rumour that several people have Visa cards and intend
>to use them with PayPal instead of their MasterCard.  If MasterCard
>don't want the transaction fees then that's their business.
>
>Feel free to convert the iTransact module to deal with PayPal anyway,
>if you think that will do the job.  Note that customers will be
>unlikely to hand over their PayPal password to a third-party as this
>will violate their end-user agreement and compromise the security of
>their PayPal account.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
>
>(Context lost due to lazy quoting.)
>
>--
>    _/   _/  _/_/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/  _/    _/
>   _/_/_/   _/_/      _/    _/    _/    _/_/  _/   K e v i n   W a l s h

Hmmm... my one and only business card is a Mastercard. I has worked fine
for me for nearly three years - faced suddenly with someone who won't take
it, will I change cards or vendors?

The real issue here is not MC/no MC, because the suspicion among those
concerned is that this is not an isolated event. The big card issuers do
not like aggregators like PayPal. They have the highest incidence of
chargebacks and fraud claims among all processors. Mastercard is willing to
bet that 80% of the aggregators' business comes from 20% of their
customers, and those people will  switch over to conventional merchant
accounts, rather than loose the ability to process Mastercard. If they are
more right than wrong, watch for Visa, Amex, Discover, etc to follow suit
shortly.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax