[ic] combining matrix & simple options for a product

Brent Kelly interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun May 5 19:10:01 2002

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to use a combination of matrix AND simple options for a
single product? Is this possible?

i.e. for each product I have multiple versions and multiple sizes. Each
version has several attributes that need to be stored (e.g. price, materials,
etc etc) which i would be using a matrix option for.  But then I also need to
have a size option, which has no related attributes stored.

So what i am trying to do is have the following structure:

Product:
	Version 1 (several attributes...)
		Size 1
		Size 2
		Size 3 (etc)
	Version 2
		Size 1
		Size 2
		Size 3 (etc)
Product 2:
.... and so on.

The user will select a version which will display a product detail page
display data based on the attributes stored under that version. They will
also have to select a size before clicking the 'buy now' button.

So i figure that if i could store the version as a matrix option, and the size
as a simple option, this would achieve what i'm wanting..

The only reason i don't want to store them both as matrix options & use
'generate all possible combinations' is that I don't want the user to have to
redundantly re-enter all the data for the version attributes for each
version-size combination (there are quite a few version attributes).

Thanks for any help,

Brent Kelly.