[ic] A couple of questions from a new user

R. Steven Rainwater interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 12:37:01 2002

I downloaded and installed the RPMs for Interchange 4.8.4 today.
They appear to have installed okay but I'm not really clear on
what to do next. I found an interchange script had been installed
in init.d and I used it to start interchange. I also found that
two directories "interchange" and "foundation" had been added to
the documet root of the default web site. The index page in the
Foundation directory has a page with two links; 1 - a demo store
(which seems to work fine) or 2 - an admin page which asks for a
username and password that I don't know. The "interchange"
directory" has some documentation but lacks any obvious "here's
how to make it go" docs for new users.

I have read the FAQ but still have some questions:

1. Where are HTML files? The FAQ has this question but no useful
answer. It says "in the catalog subdirectory" but there is no
catalog subdirectory anywhere obvious.

2. What's the initial username and password for the admin area
and how can I change it?

3. Where can I find documentation that will explain how to use
Interchange to set up a simple shopping cart/store on some of
the virtual sites on my server? The nearest I could find in the
online documentation was the "catalog building tutorial" but
once I got as far as step 2.1, it says I have to do some stuff
that's in the "Getting Started Guide" before continuing.
Unfortunately, I can find no "Getting Started Guide" document.
(and I'd love to find it as it sounds quite useful!)

4. What's a catalog? Is that just the term Interchange uses for
an online store or does it have some Perl/Database/technical
meaning? It would be helpful to find a glossary of what various
Interchange-specific terminology meant.

I'm running on a Red Hat 7.2 system with all the latest patches.
Our server has about 40 virtual web sites (some SSL, some not).
I'd like to use Interchange to set up online stores for a few
of them. I need some of those stores to be able to handle credit
card payment through either Bank of America or Authorize.net.

Any pointers on how to get started appreciated!

-Steve

R. Steven Rainwater * http://www.ncc.com/humans/srainwater/index.html
"As you struggle to save humanity be sure to avoid electrodes in
your path"  -- Robotron 2084