[ic] A couple of questions from a new user

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 13:57:00 2002

> I downloaded and installed the RPMs for Interchange 4.8.4 today.
> They appear to have installed okay but I'm not really clear on
> what to do next. I found an interchange script had been installed
> in init.d and I used it to start interchange. I also found that
> two directories "interchange" and "foundation" had been added to
> the documet root of the default web site. The index page in the
> Foundation directory has a page with two links; 1 - a demo store
> (which seems to work fine) or 2 - an admin page which asks for a
> username and password that I don't know. The "interchange"
> directory" has some documentation but lacks any obvious "here's
> how to make it go" docs for new users.
>
> I have read the FAQ but still have some questions:
>
> 1. Where are HTML files? The FAQ has this question but no useful
> answer. It says "in the catalog subdirectory" but there is no
> catalog subdirectory anywhere obvious.

When you created a catalog, it asked you where you wanted it to be
located, probably something like /<virtual site>/var/catalogs/<catalog
name>...  Under that directory you will find /pages

> 2. What's the initial username and password for the admin area
> and how can I change it?

When you set up the catalog it asked you for the catalog user-that
should be your username and I think the default password is "pass". Once
you are in the UI, you can go to 'administration'->'access'

> 3. Where can I find documentation that will explain how to use
> Interchange to set up a simple shopping cart/store on some of
> the virtual sites on my server? The nearest I could find in the
> online documentation was the "catalog building tutorial" but
> once I got as far as step 2.1, it says I have to do some stuff
> that's in the "Getting Started Guide" before continuing.
> Unfortunately, I can find no "Getting Started Guide" document.
> (and I'd love to find it as it sounds quite useful!)

Go to the interchange.redhat.com site and you can fully search the
documentation or download it at:
http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev-4.8/index.html

> 4. What's a catalog? Is that just the term Interchange uses for
> an online store or does it have some Perl/Database/technical
> meaning? It would be helpful to find a glossary of what various
> Interchange-specific terminology meant.

A 'catalog' is the 'store' you set up, like the demo.  You can set up
lots of 'catalogs' or 'stores' on one or different users on an IC
installation

> I'm running on a Red Hat 7.2 system with all the latest patches.
> Our server has about 40 virtual web sites (some SSL, some not).
> I'd like to use Interchange to set up online stores for a few
> of them. I need some of those stores to be able to handle credit
> card payment through either Bank of America or Authorize.net.
>
> Any pointers on how to get started appreciated!
>
> -Steve

> R. Steven Rainwater * http://www.ncc.com/humans/srainwater/index.html
> "As you struggle to save humanity be sure to avoid electrodes in
> your path"  -- Robotron 2084

  _____

Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton