[ic] A couple of questions from a new user

Rick Eicher II interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 14:21:01 2002

> I have read the FAQ but still have some questions:
>
> 1. Where are HTML files? The FAQ has this question but no useful
> answer. It says "in the catalog subdirectory" but there is no
> catalog subdirectory anywhere obvious.

RPM install on redhat 7.2, look under /var/lib/interchange for the
directories of the catalogs.

> 2. What's the initial username and password for the admin area
> and how can I change it?

Try admin and pass.

> 3. Where can I find documentation that will explain how to use
> Interchange to set up a simple shopping cart/store on some of
> the virtual sites on my server? The nearest I could find in the
> online documentation was the "catalog building tutorial" but
> once I got as far as step 2.1, it says I have to do some stuff
> that's in the "Getting Started Guide" before continuing.
> Unfortunately, I can find no "Getting Started Guide" document.
> (and I'd love to find it as it sounds quite useful!)

To begin setup a foundation based catalog/store. Then tweak as needed. If
you run into problems first check the docs that are there. May not be laid
out where it is easy to find but with a little skill you can find answers.
If not check the searchable achieves. A good number of the questions you
will have, have been covered. And last ask it on this list. If done in the
right manner, a wealth of answers will come your way.

> 4. What's a catalog? Is that just the term Interchange uses for
> an online store or does it have some Perl/Database/technical
> meaning? It would be helpful to find a glossary of what various
> Interchange-specific terminology meant.

Catalog is the term Interchange uses for online store.

> I'm running on a Red Hat 7.2 system with all the latest patches.
> Our server has about 40 virtual web sites (some SSL, some not).
> I'd like to use Interchange to set up online stores for a few
> of them. I need some of those stores to be able to handle credit
> card payment through either Bank of America or Authorize.net.
>
> Any pointers on how to get started appreciated!
>
> -Steve

Nothing in life is free. The price to be able to use this powerful software
is your time.

So the best pointer for a newbie is be prepared to spend some time on this.

Rick Eicher II

P.S. If any find what I have said wrong, then disregard that part.