[ic] performance / flushing pages

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 6 23:50:01 2002

> I have pages that do the following:

>   ... some static content, headers, images and titles ...
>
>   [perl]
>          a lot of processing
>   [/perl]
>
>   ... some footer ...

> The [perl] portion may take a long time, say 4 or 5 seconds. When I load a
> page like this, NOTHING appears until all the tags have been evaluated. One
> can think that the server could start sending all the static content above
> the first tag, then continue throwing data as tags evaluate. There would be
> a noticeable performance gain because:
>
> 1. The perception of the user is that the server responds very quickly (even
> though the page takes 5 seconds to fully load).
>
> 2. while the tag evaluates the client browser can start rendering the HTML
> page and grabbing the heading images.
>
> But I just can't get this on interchange. Does anybody know...?

You may find the "Interchange Perl Objects" section of the "Interchange
Templates" manual, and the "[perl]" section of the "Interchange Tags
Reference" useful here.  Specifically, the parts that describe the
$Document object.

Five seconds is a long time to spend in a [perl] block.  Perhaps some
work can be done in there to reduce the processing time.