[ic] Proper method of posting images?

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu May 9 17:04:01 2002

> Dear IC Wizards,
> My images are typically around 380 x 320.  Is there a way to tell the
> system to format a thumbnail on the fly based on some constant (say 80
> pixels) for one dimension, a variable, and to use the master
> image for the
> thumbnail?  The 80 x 80 size would be much more workable but the time to
> produce could be lengthy.   Or does this just hog too much system
> resource
> time?
>
> Your opinions, please.   (Some catalog categories will have
> 50-100 items on
> a page.  Time to load the screen is always a factor).
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew Lietzow
> The ACL Group, Inc.

Hi Andrew

If you set one dimension in your img call ie: width="80", but don't set the
height, you can control the size of the image. However, wheter this
translates into a "less data" being transfered, I doubt.

Linux is pretty powerful, and someone might have an answer for you. However,
programs like Photoshop, and AcDsee have batch utilities. I convert 1 image
into 5 different images, hundreds of files (at once) offline very easily.

I would assume most image editing software have batch utilities for this.
With the correct sku convention, and variable setup, you can handle 1000's
of image easily.

Paul