[ic] Proper method of posting images?

Thu May 9 17:39:00 2002

Quoting Andrew Lietzow (andrewl@theaclgroup.com):
> Dear IC Wizards,
> My images are typically around 380 x 320.  Is there a way to tell the
> system to format a thumbnail on the fly based on some constant (say 80
> pixels) for one dimension, a variable, and to use the master image for the
> thumbnail?  The 80 x 80 size would be much more workable but the time to
> produce could be lengthy.   Or does this just hog too much system resource
> time?

Probably on the fly it is unless your server is pretty underutilized.

If you have ImageMagick, it can easily be done by making a UserTag,
though, and only doing it when the file doesn't exist already.

The shell script for doing that is:

	mv __IMAGE_DIR__/items/filename.* __IMAGE_DIR__/thumb \
	&& mogrify -geom 80x80 __IMAGE_DIR__/thumb/filename.*

I think there is even an example in some UserTag in the admin
space -- I believe it is called image_collate. It is pointed
toward batch-making thumbs, but it should be useful.

--
3005 Nichols Rd., Hamilton, OH  45013
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@valuemedia.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown