[ic] Proper method of posting images?

Fri May 10 12:43:00 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 10:58:18AM -0500, Andrew Lietzow wrote:
> On Friday 10 May 2002 10:08, Dan Browning wrote:
> > The 'convert' program is awesome for batch resizing, etc.
>
> Okay.  I take the bait, Dan.  What is the 'convert' program?
>
> BTW, what I would want to do with a thumbnail converter is basically
> identical to what KDE (2.2.1) Konqueror does when you access a file folder
> full of GIF's or JPG's--it creates little pictures (thumbnails) on the fly.
> Unfortunately, I have to say that Mike Heins is correct in that doing this
> would probably slow the process down entirely too much--people would get
> frustrated, click stop and be gone... Not so good....
>
> So, I either need to create and save all of the thumbnails into 80x80 files
> OR just not have thumbnails.  I'll try it both ways and see how responsive it
> is.

Create the thumbnails when you upload the images or use a script outside
ic to do it periodically.  Or both.  Keep image sizes in your database
so your can render image tags correctly.  I don't think Mike meant
converting image sizes on the fly while you are serving pages to
shoppers; there is no question that would be slower.  On the fly in
admin is not bad though.