[ic] Can't connect to path of cgi-bin/catalog

Andrew Lietzow interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon May 20 08:22:01 2002

> Well I spent a full day trying to update my Interchange foundation catalogs
> and install new ones on my Red Hat 7.3 box from v. 4.8.3 to 4.8.5.  For the
> life of me I cannot get mydomain.com/cgi-bin/mycatalog/admin/index.html to
> show up on one of the foundation type catalogs.  According to the error_log
> in /var/log/httpd/ its trying to access /var/www/cgi-bin/mycatalog when it
> should be trying to get it at /var/www/html/mywebsitedir/cgi-bin/mycatalog/
> and I can't for the life of me figure out why.  I ran makecat twice, went
> over /var/lib/interchange/mycatalog/catalog.cfg with a fine tooth comb.
> Took a good hard look at /etc/interchange.cfg but to no avail.  The
> error.log in /usr/lib/interchange/ does not give me any clues.  The
> httpd.conf is set up properly, as it was before!  There are no apparent
> mySQL errors.  Just when I try to go to that page I get:
>
> Not Found
> The requested URL /cgi-bin/mycatalog/admin/index.html was not found on this
> server.
>
> Apache/1.3.23 Server at mydomain.com.com Port 80
>
> I checked the preferences and compared them to other Interchange foundation
> catalogs which had no problems bringing up the admin/index.html page.    I
> am at a loss.  Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> Julie the beat, whipped one.

Dear Julie, the "beat, whipped one",

Here's one suggestion.

If you are using the RPM's, try the tarball instead.  I experienced the same
frustration attempting to get the RPM version going.  Others here may know
that the RPM now works, why, and possibly can give you tips for that routine.
However, all I wanted to do is get it to run and that required the tarball.

Also, take a look at Tim Burt's tips for installing a 4.8.3 foundation demo.
It's somewhere in the archive with a subject of "Installation answers for IC
4.8.3 on Redhat".  The RedHat Interchange Checklist will get you started (in
the IC documentation) but there are details not included with this document
that are gotchas, IMO.

The directory structure and the linked files on IC, IMO, is not for we mere
mortals to understand.  It is PFM and either you install it correctly from
the script the first time, you keep running bin/makecat until it does install
correctly, or you beat your head against a wall until the pain is so
overwhelming that you throw up your hands in discust and give up.

To figure out where all of the files go, where the system has to find them,
etc. is a non-trivial activity and beyond the scope of that with which even a
moderately seasoned *nix person would want to deal.

Also, make sure you have Bundle::Interchange installed from CPAN before you
start.   HTH.

Good luck!

--
Andrew Lietzow