[ic] Makecat problem: undefined catalog

Matthew T. Snyder interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu May 30 15:30:01 2002

R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
<snip>
> The permission thing sounds interesting. Why wouldn't interchange
> be able to access stores created by makecat? How would I determine
> if this is problem and, more importantly, what permissions should
> I set on which files to correct it?
>
> -Steve

Steve,

	The permissions should normally be set by makecat.  But occasionally (I
can't even begin to guess why - I'm still way behind on the learning curve
yet), something somewhere has a brain fart (in my case, it's usually me),
and the permissions don't get set right.  Everything in the catalog
directory (in your case, probably /var/lib/interchange/erin-cat) should be
set to have permissions for either the interchange user or the interchange
group (depending on how you set up your catalog and your interchange).
	For example, on my installation, the UID and GID for interchange are both
interch.  so all my permissions on the catalog directories (not to mention
the sql databases) are set to coincide with this.  I'm not exactly certain
how this might change if you set M or G permissions in makecat, but using U
sets it all this way.  If you edit or create any files manually, you have to
make sure that the permissions are set correctly for interchange to see any
modifications.  I think (dangerous task) that a lot depends on the actual
setup of the box and what user you use to run makecat - and it's entirely
possible I'm way off base here.  But since the computer I use for a lot of
this is a standalone, I run makecat as the superuser, and make sure I
doublecheck before I restart.  For me, this usually works.

HTH,

Matt