[ic] How to build product categories?

Michael Goldfarb interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 4 16:54:00 2002

>> I don't tie into the UI for my category display so I'm not sure about
how >>to
>> get that working with three levels of categories, but you can use an
>>unused
>> field in your products database for "brand", or add a new field
simply by
>> adding it to the txt file.  Be sure you use the tabs correctly.
>>
>Thanks, Grant. I'm surprised there aren't some companies using more
than
>2 levels, and that brand isn't a standard field. Walmart uses a
>Yahoo-like approach for browsing, and there can be 5-6 levels. Not many
>companies have that expansive a product listing, but I would think 3-4
>levels isn't that uncommon.
>
>How do you categorize products on your UI?
>
>There doesn't appear to be any direction relation between product group
>and category, from what I can see. A product can have any group /
>category combination, correct?
>
>- Gerry

There are companies that use more than 2 categories, there is just not a
point-and-click way to do it in the Interchange Foundation UI. Try
running searches for "Tree".

One such example that Mike Heins posted  awhile back is here:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/archive/interchange-users/2001/msg09061.html

In answer to your other question, yes, an item can belong to any
combination of product groups and categories. Product Groups are just
another way to categorize "like" items other that just using the
category column.