[ic] Search field in cat.txt

Philip Alves interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Nov 8 12:24:47 2002

> Howdy!
>
> I'm having trouble using 'search' in cat.txt for more than one searchspec.
> I've searched the mailing list with no luck.  In the docs, it shows:
>
> "fi=merchandising^Msf=featured^Mse=new
> The '^M' delimiters in the sample data represents a carriage return
> character"
>
> Simple enough...except that it just doesn't want to work for me.  I put
this
> in the 'search' field:
>
> tf=sku^Mml=25
>
> and this is the part of the URL that results:
>
> tf=sku%5EMml=25
>
> It should look like "tf=sku/ml=25" right?
>
> I've also tried changing from 'simple' lin_type to 'complex' link_type,
and
> using a comma, a space, and '/' instead of ^M, all with no luck.
>
> I'm obviously doing something wrong.  Can anybody provide a push in the
> right direction?

Ok, I've been playing with this for a while now, and still no luck.  I've
taken a look in catalog_before.cfg and noticed this:

push @out, $record->{search}
if $record->{search} =~ /^\s*\w\w=/;

I am assuming that this is what controls how the 'search' field in cat.txt
is read.  I understand that easy questions (like mine) aren't sexy, so I'm
going to ask if anyone can help me understand this, so that I can either a)
figure out on my own what the carriage return character is, or b) change the
carriage return character to something that is easier for me to understand
and use.

Of course, if someone has a non-sexy answer, that's fine be me, too :)

Phil