[ic] password prompt at /admin/login

Greg Goble interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Nov 12 10:18:00 2002

Hi devgroup,

RH 7.3 IC 4.8.3

I use to use .htaccess for the user id authentication to get into our site,
but now because of technical reasons I have to use the default apache
'require valid user' authentication (hope this much is clear)...

Here's the problem when entering the site a user is indeed prompted to enter
valid user id and pwd and when doing so can freely roam the site and all
subdirectories including the cgi-bin and the IC catalog pages.

However, here's the problem: If I go to cgi-bin/catalog/admin/login, I'm
once again prompted for the user id & password through the IE popup box. I'm
not talking about IC's login screen--that's fine. If I say okay, because
IE's remember the pwd with the check box, I'm in...no problem. However, some
of my colleagues who have access to the IC admin interface are constantly
being prompted to re-enter the user id & pwd even though they're in the same
directory, i.e., cgi-bin/catalog/pages/admin.

I'm convinced that this IC is causing this to happen as one can freely roam
through the Web site any where else, again, including the catalog pages and
only having to enter the id/pwd once.

Why is the /admin/login in directory and directories within keep asking for
user id & pwd?

Thanks, Greg Goble