[ic] Some emails can't be sent - could this be why ? LOG DATA

DB interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Nov 15 07:49:01 2002

>> /cgi-bin/STORE/process.html Unable to send mail using /usr/lib/sendmail
>
>     First determine if sendmail is even being invoked, see if you can
> correlate the time in the interchange error log with something in syslog or
> mail.err (depending on your mail system config).
>

> Jeff

Here's info from my system logs. I'll compare order "1" that had the
problem with order "2" which did not.

For order 1, where the email did not arrive, /var/log/maillog shows the
receipt to the customer being sent ok but there's no sign of the order
being mailed to me, no error... nothing. I had to get the credit card
info from the catalog's error log.

30 min later order 2 is placed and the maillog shows both the receipt
sent to the customer and the order sent to me normally.

Now during the time that order 1 was placed, /var/log/messages shows
alot of "lame server" entries. By "alot" I mean like 8 during the same
second. This did not happen during order 2. Perhaps these are slowing
the server's DNS causing sendmail to timeout? Maybe I should try to
increase that timeout ?? What do you guys think?

DB