[ic] StaticFly

Grant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Nov 25 20:24:00 2002

>Grant wrote:
>
>>I'm using IC 4.9.3 and I'd like to have static pages built for each of the
>>items in my products database.  The docs say:
>>
>>StaticFly
>>A Yes/No directive. If set to Yes, static builds will attempt to
>generate a
>>page for every part number in the database using the on-the-fly page build
>>capability. If pages are already present with those names, they will be
>>overwritten. The default is No.
>>
>>But how do you specify which directory the files are saved in and
>how often
>>they're built?
>>
>I'm just a little curious as to when or why someone would ever do this.
> If you have a small database, the flypage load would be minimal and if
>you had a giant database, the management of the flypages would be
>incredibly hard to handle, would it not?
>
>Barry

I used to think the same thing.  However, I've got a cross selling system on
my flypages that checks the "keywords" field for that product against the
keywords field for every other product and displays the cross sells based on
the results.  Because of that, my flypages take 7-8 seconds to load.  Static
flypages would fix this, but now I'm thinking that isn't the best solution.
I'm thinking I need something to periodically (daily) run through that
keyword matching for every product in the products database and write each
set of results to a field for each product.  That way I won't have to run
through that search and evaluation every time a flypage is loaded.  I guess
the best way to do that would be with a cron and a series of loops and data
tag?  Can the default database handle something like that for about 225
products?  If each item takes 7 seconds, 225 items would take about 26
minutes....

- Grant